Thursday, March 1, 2012

Playing in the Tunnel...

The goal today was to pick a location that amateur an photographer might photograph, because of the possibilities of contrast, composition, color, etc. I didn't want a location that would be really simple to photograph, but instead something that would force me to get creative. Here is what I came up with...
 Alright, So I found a tunnel that carries a stream under the freeway. In my opinion, composition in tunnels is always very easy (but still interesting), and the lines do a good job at leading the eye. Contrast is there, but the transition is blurred and not attractive. Very little color too.
 Here is a picture, with me putting forward a little more effort. The picture is now somewhat symmetrical, but the contrasting lines are a little more defined. There is more color and your eye leads from the rock to the end of the tunnel. This picture was still a little dark, and in my opinion, an "average joe" picture.
  Here is the last picture I took at the location. I changed position, but still wanted the rock catching the viewers eye, leading it out the tunnel. I wanted a more calm feeling, so I slowed the shutter,which smoothed out the water. Also, I put on a polarizing filter to enhance the green and remove alot of the annoying reflection. Now of course, you cannot see the entire opening of the tunnel, but with the overhead shadow on the water, you get the idea of a tunnel. This was a fun, short (10 minute) project that brought me a better photograph than what I started with. 

3 comments:

  1. Tyler I am loving this blog. I am learning so much from your experimenting. :)
    p.s. I love the water splash picture below.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, I am glad you are loving it! I figured I would make a "journal" for something I can look back on, but also to share my little projects :) sadly the background picture is not mine. I couldn't get my personal picture to upload :(

      Delete
  2. I think that is a great idea. I should do something like that. Just for my own memory. I like the water splash picture you took in your abstract post.

    ReplyDelete