Saturday, March 10, 2012

Zion Night Photography

I have been aiming to get out to Zion the last few nights to get some night pictures, but with other projects, I never made it out til last night. The weather was perfect and it made me really miss living on the East Side of Zion. The moon was so bright that I didn't need a flashlight most of the time and getting up there at 9:30 pm, I was finally tired at 1:30 and decided to head home. Anyways, I am happy with what I ended up with!
 I hiked the Canyon Overlook Trail for a good shot of East Temple. Found it about 100 yards shy of the end of the trail.
 These next four shots were all taken at the same location, near Checkerboard Mesa. The view was awesome, and I have been wanting to come photograph these hoodoos for a while. This was the first position I shot at.
 This is the same hoodoo (on the left) but I walked back a little to get the one on the right as well. On this picture, I also hit the hoodoos with a little light to brighten them up. Don't worry though, I also have a few shots without the artificial light. I just like this one :)
 Another shot of the hoodoos, from looking down low, about 18 inches of the ground. 
This picture was taken from the hoodoos, looking away. I liked the way the mountains looked leading into the valley below.
This was a great opportunity for me to get out and really see what my camera was capable of. Learned alot about focusing the lens as well (a few trial and error pics). Hope you enjoyed!

1 comment: